Monday 10 January 2011

Zbrush Sculpting

So here we have my first attempt at sculpting using Zbrush using the base mesh from Maya that I posted before.
The tutorials from the Pixologic website were extremely helpful pointing me around the interface of the software, and singling out some of the tools that I could use to produce a high quality model for the Raven Project. The Above Image shows the use of the Divide Mesh tool. It is similar to that of Maya's Smooth tool in that it adds geometry to sculpt with. However the Divide tool adds geometry in smaller doses and makes you feel much more in control of the amount of poly's you are giving your model. The Divide tool is totally necessary as you need at least some geometry to make better use of the tools Zbrush has to offer.
The above Image is a test playing around with some of the sculpting tools Zbrush has to offer, I was trying to give the model a textured surface on the chest mimicing feathers. However I found the outcome too jagged. The tools reminded me so much of Photoshop as you can adjust the brushes you use to suit your needs.
As you can see from the image above, I have divided the geometry again, I have then moved on to using possibly one of my favourite tools Zbrush has. The smooth brush is similar to Maya's Average vertices tool, however with ability to use a brush and pressure sensitive tablet it makes the whole experience so so so much more intuitive.
I used the smooth tool on the on the chest feather area for a neat/less jagged looking geometry. I find the responsive nature of this software, absolutely beautiful. I literally makes modeling feel like drawing. Obviously I have had my trouble moving around the work space, but Zbrush nothing that isn't solved with saving regularly and getting more comfortable with the software.
Eventually I felt brave enough to have a go at the face, and I have to say that this was completed so much quicker than I would have dreamed. The difference in modeling on Zbrush compared to Maya is massive and I can't help but think that it opens so many doors for an artist looking to model. Every tool is customizable and an absolute dream to use, even for a beginner.

To sum this journal entry up, Zbrush = WIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment